Dewars 12 Year Old The Ancestor Scotch Whisky Advent Calendar 4 December 2018
Dewar’s is a brand of blended Scotch whisky owned by Bacardi, which claims the brand’s “White Label” to be the top-selling blended Scotch in the US. Dewar’s is also the world’s most awarded blended Scotch whisky with more than 500 medals earned in international competitions.
The Dewar’s whisky brand was created by John Dewar, Sr. in 1846. Under the control of his two sons, John A. Dewar Jr. and Thomas “Tommy” Dewar, the brand expanded to become a global market leader by 1896. Tommy became famous as the author of a travel journal, Ramble Round the Globe, which documented his travels while publicizing the Dewar name.
In 1893, Queen Victoria bestowed a Royal Warrant, indeed Dewar’s has received a Royal Warrant from every British monarch since. The regal involvement continued for in 1902, Tommy Dewar was knighted by King Edward VI. Dewar’s eventually expanded their product by constructing the Aberfeldy Distillery in 1896.
The company joined Distillers Company in 1925. Distillers was acquired by Guinness in 1986, and Guinness merged with Grand Metropolitan to form Diageo in 1997. Diageo sold Dewar’s to Bacardi the next year.
Dewar’s rose to prominence in the United States when Andrew Carnegie requested a small keg of Dewar’s Scotch whisky be sent to the White House upon President Benjamin Harrison’s inauguration. Carnegie also sent the same gift to President James Garfield on his inauguration eight years later.
In 1987, numerous cases of still perfect Dewar’s Scotch were recovered by underwater archaeologist E. Lee Spence from the shipwreck of the SS Regina, which had been sunk in Lake Huron in 1913.
Dewar’s own five distilleries:
- Royal Brackla
Dewar’s has a range of popular blends including:
- Dewar’s White Label – Created in 1899 by John Dewar & Son’s first Master Blender, A.J. Cameron. It has become the company’s top-selling variation. It is a blend of 40 single malt Scotch whiskies.
- Dewar’s Scratched Cask – Released in 2015, Dewar’s Scratched Cask uses the process of charring and scratching ex-bourbon barrels to release a smoother, American-inspired richness to Dewar’s White Label Blended Scotch Whisky.
- Dewar’s 15 years old – The blend was created by the current (and first female) Dewar’s Master Blender Stephanie Macleod.
- Dewar’s 18 years old – First released in 2003 and created by Master Blender Tom Aitken.
- Dewar’s Signature – First created in 2003 by Master Blender Tom Aitken using the finest single malts Scotch whiskies available.
- Dewar’s 12 years old – The blend was created by Dewar’s sixth master blender, Tom Aitken. This offering has received some awards at international Spirit ratings competitions. From the San Francisco World Spirits Competition, it has received several double gold, gold, and silver medals.
Dewar’s 12 Year Old – The Ancestor (40%) – The classic 12 year old blend from Dewars, this stuff is the successor to Dewar’s “Double Aged” 12 Year Old – so named in reference to the additional 6 month marriage the whisky enjoys after the initial maturation and blending. Even with the name change this practice of “double aging” is maintained.
You can find my simple tasting of this blended scotch whisky here on my YouTube channel: